[mythtv-users] Double image problem with using Audio Authority 9A60 adapter

Aaron Levinson alevinsn at aracnet.com
Mon Mar 8 05:54:19 EST 2004

Hi all,

I mostly finished setting up my first MythTV box over the weekend, and I
did everything using the VGA output on the motherboard (ASUS P4P800-VM
with Intel(R) Extreme Graphics 2) connected to my monitor.  I'm using the
PVR-250 as my video capture device, and I don't have any other video cards
in the system, so I don't have a TV-out interface.  After reading various
posts in the mythtv-users archive, I had decided to go with the Audio
Authority 9A60 adapter based on the higher video quality, according to
various posts on the subject.

So, after configuring all the software, I added appropriate "Monitor" and
"Screen" sections to my XF86Config file based on the information at
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=82975;search_string=%22audio%20authority%22%20480i;guest=2401469&t=search_engine#82975
.  Actually, I expanded on the post by creating new "Monitor" and "Screen"
sections, leaving my existing "Monitor" and "Screen" sections intact.
Then, I created a new "ServerLayout" section and added a new Xserver to
the Xservers file for kdm, which is located at /etc/X11/kdm/Xservers (or
someting like that for Fedora) that uses the -layout option to specify the
new layout.  This way, I would be able to support both my computer monitor
and television without having to reboot if I needed to bring the computer
back upstairs to the computer room (hopefully, that made some sense).

OK, so after making the changes to XF86Config and kdm's Xservers file, I
brought the computer downstairs, connected it to my receiver (which is
connected to my TV) using component video inputs on the receiver, and
powered everything up.

It "sort of" works.  The main problem is that there are two copies of the
video output displayed on the TV, one displayed on the left half and one
displayed on the right half.  This is difficult to describe, so I took a
picture of the TV, which can be found at
http://www.aracnet.com/~alevinsn/dual_image_9A60.jpg .  This is a picture
of one of the BIOS screens, but I get the exact same effect at the kdm
login screen.  Basically, both the BIOS screens (including the BIOS
"splash" screen") and the KDM screen associated with the TV layout that I
created in XF86Config display the same way, as demonstrated in the
picture.

I also switched to a virtual terminal (with CTRL-ALT-F1) to see what would
happen, but then I couldn't read anything.  I got the same effect when
switching to the other Xserver running (the one for my computer monitor)
(with CTRL-ALT-F8).  I've seen similar distortion effects when displaying
a PAL signal on an NTSC TV, although this was far worse than that.

Also, along with the dual images, each image flickers quite a bit.

As I indicated, the video device is an Intel Extreme Graphics 2 device
integrated on the motherboard (actually, part of the Intel(R) 865G
chipset).  In one mythtv-user post, I read that in order to output 480i,
the video card must support interlaced video (I cannot find the post at
the moment, however).  I have not been able to determine if the Extreme
Graphics 2 device and/or driver support interlaced video.  I examined the
XFree86 log for the server that started up, and I didn't see any warning
messages.

In addition, I think that my television is only capable of supporting 480i
on its component video input, but again, I cannot verify this using any
manufacturer-supplied information.  The television is a couple years old,
and I have successfully used it with the component video outputs of two
different standard DVD players (both connected to the receiver in the same
fashion that the 9A60 is connected to it), and this leads me to believe
that it accepts 480i, but I cannot determine this with certainty.

Based on the above information, any ideas on what is going wrong?  Any
suggestions on what I can do to fix the problem?  Sure, I could get a
video card with TV-out, but ideally, I'd like to correct the problem with
my current hardware configuration, if possible.

If my only choice is to get new hardware, I've been researching AGP
Digital Display (ADD) cards (discussed at
http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/intel865g/sb/CS-009166.htm ).
However, I don't know if the TV-out on these cards is supported on Linux.
For it to be supported, I think it would have to be supported in the
Extreme Graphics 2 driver (i810), but yet again, I cannot determine
whether or not ADD card output is supported based on the driver
documentation.  Not to mention, I'm not sure where to buy an ADD card with
TV-out.  ASUS apparently makes one, but no one sells it.  ADD cards do not
appear to be all that popular based on the various Internet searches that
I have done.  If anyone can provide me with information regarding ADD
cards on Linux, I would appreciate it.  A search on the XFree86 e-mail
lists didn't turn anything up....

Finally, if I need to get new hardware and an ADD card is not an option, I
would appreciate recommendations on video cards.  I have an Audio
Authority 9A60, and ideally, I would like to make use of it if it will
result in better quality.  As far as video uses go, I intend to use my
MythTV HTPC to watch and record television, play video files, watch DVDs,
and play games.

Thanks a lot,
Aaron Levinson