[mythtv-users] Hardware review before the plunge..

Chad J McQuinn chadmcquinn at insightbb.com
Sun Mar 7 14:19:15 EST 2004

On Mar 6, 2004, at 2:36 PM, Matthew Geller wrote:

> Tyan Tiger-133 Dual P2-400
> 512MB RAM
> Dual Western Digital 120GB ATA133 drives (Board only supports
> UDMA/ATA/66)
> Hauppauge WinTV PVR-250

I don't know if it has been fixed, but I am not able to run my dual
P2-350 board (ASUS p2b-d) with an SMP kernel if I want to use the
pvr250. Something in the ivtv driver just didn't react to it well. I
don't remember at the moment if I got kernel panics or if the driver
just wouldn't load. A single p2-350 is fast enough to get the job done
with a pvr250 so even if you have problems, you can boot without SMP.

> Frontend (For entertainment room)
> Biostar M7VIF
> Athlon XP 2000+
> 512MB RAM
> Chaintech Geforce4 MX4000
> SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS PCI Card
> Network boot or 20GB drive if I cannot get that working

I assume M7V is something like a Via KT333 or KT400 chipset? I have an
asus a7v8x-x and have had nothing but problems with it running linux.
There are apparently known issues with these chipsets and large amounts
of dma traffic. I get kernel panics if I try to use the pvr250 (not
applicable to you since this is a frontent only) and at least once a
month, a kernel panic due to high network usage. Some people have no
problems at all, but if you do a google search you will find a lot of
people that do have problems.

-Chad