[mythtv-users] @ X sessions?

Niklas Brunlid nbr at ticalc.org
Sun Mar 7 13:02:57 EST 2004

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 12:14:51 -0500, stan <stanb at panix.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 08:12:40AM -0500, jose rubio wrote:

>> > I tried to use it merged with my own - I run on the Pundit's internal
>> gfx
>> > card to drive my monitor and a PVR350 to drive the TV. Everytime I
>> try to
>> > run on the attached config the computer locks up hard and won't
>> respond to
>> > anythong except the power button :(

>> > Doesn't look that updated to me... :)
>> >
>> > Section "ServerLayout"
>> >
>> >    Screen 0 "Screen 1"                      # << (your computer
>> monitor)
>> >
>> >    # (add the following line)
>> >    Screen 1 "TV Screen" RightOf "Screen 1"  # << (TV screen)

>> > EndSection
>> >
>> > / Niklas
>> > ----
>> >
>> They should have used better names for the screens but i don't think it
>> is outdated.
>>
>> Anyway, i looked through your xconfig file, i did not see anyting wrong
>> with it but i'm not an expert either...
>>
>> You said that your computer lock's up when you start x?  That should not
>> be happening (to state the obvious :-) but seriously, can you not even
>> ssh into the machine?
>
> If I said that I was wrong.
> The machine is not loacked up, sorry if I made you think thta.

Hey, that's my post he was replying to! =)

Anyways, my computer is really locked up - the ssh session I had into it
where I edited XF86Config froze and I have to rebot using a different
kernel (I know, I know, there's probably a better way to do it, but it
works).

When I tried it I just restarted X, both the dirty way
(ctrl-alt-backspace) and the nice way (log off), and IIRC both locked the
computer. Looking at the X.old log I suspect that the SiS X driver detects
the IVTV framebuffer and tries to claim it for its own (BAD), so a
possible solution is to make sure that the SiS driver gets its own
framebuffer (kernel module building is fun!). Either that or somehow make
it *not* use a framebuffer, but I'm not sure if the driver supports that.

/ Niklas B