[mythtv-users] Recording shows to DVD?

Chris Delis cedelis at uillinois.edu
Sun Mar 7 12:25:50 EST 2004

On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 10:58:42AM -0500, stan wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 05:12:19PM -0500, Andrew Dodd wrote:
> > Quoting "Boyd II, Willy" <wboyd at fulbright.com>:
> >

> > > pvr-250 right?  I don't think you want the dvb stuff then.  I was referring
> > > to this script:
> > >
> > > ---------------
> > > #!/bin/sh
> > >
> > > mkfifo aud0
> > > mkfifo vid0
> > > mkfifo dvdmpg
> > >
> > > mpeg2desc -a0 < $1 > aud0 &
> > > mpeg2desc -v0 < $1 > vid0 &
> > > mplex -f 8 -V -o dvdmpg aud0 vid0 &
> > > dvdauthor -o $2 -f dvdmpg
> > > dvdauthor -o $2 -T
> > >
> > > rm aud0
> > > rm vid0
> > > rm dvdmpg
> > > ----------------
> > >
> > > Pass it the .nuv file and a name for the new dvd project.  You should end
> > > up
> > > with a directory which you can mkisofs into a ISO then burn it.  (Or are
> > > people somehow bypassing the mkisofs step to burn?  lemme know if so...)
> > That's my script.  :)
> >
> Now that I have this working (and thanks for all the ehlp on that!). I have
> one more question on this subject.
>
> How can I put more than 1 show on a DVD?

You need to expand on the dvdauthor command.  Instead of:

   dvdauthor -o dvdimage -f dvdmpg

you can add more mpegs to your dvd image like so:

   dvdauthor -o dvdimage -f dvdmpg1 dvdmpg2 [...]

This implies the need to create the additonal dvd-compliant mpegs,
one for each show you want to put on dvd.

mpeg2desc -a0 < originalshow1.nuv > aud0 &
mpeg2desc -v0 < originalshow1.nuv > vid0 &
mplex -f 8 -V -o dvdmpg1 aud0 vid0 &

mpeg2desc -a0 < originalshow2.nuv > aud0 &
mpeg2desc -v0 < originalshow2.nuv > vid0 &
mplex -f 8 -V -o dvdmpg2 aud0 vid0 &

...and then when you are done creating these, finish off with dvdauthor:

dvdauthor -o mydvd -f dvdmpg1 dvdmpg2
dvdauthor -o mydvd -T

I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to put it all together in a nice
generic script :)

--Chris