[mythtv-users] mythtvsetup won't run, exits with errors (Fedora)

Hanno 'Rince' Wagner wagner at rince.de
Sun Mar 7 02:34:06 EST 2004

Hi,

match at ece.utah.edu schrieb am 06. März 2004:

> > 2) make sure that your databases actually exist in mysql.  I don't know
> > sql enough to help you out here, but you can just repeat the steps
> > outlined in Jarod's howto.
>
> I can't tell if they exist either. I've executed the instructions in
> Jarod's HOW_TO over and over...

Okay, I will try it the Unix way ,-)

Open a terminal. I hope that you have installed "mysql" as Client.
So type "mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg". It will ask you for a
password, there you type "mythtv".
If you get a response like this:

-----
crystalball:~# mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg
Enter password:

Your MySQL connection id is 151 to server version: 4.0.16-log

mysql>
------

Then you already know:
- mysql is running and ready
- the database "mythconverg" exists
- the password for user mythtv is "mythtv"

if you get something like this:

----
crystalball:~# mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg
Enter password:
ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'mythtv at localhost' (Using
password: YES)
----

Then you are using the wrong password.

As soon as you are inside mysql, you can check wether you have all
tables. Since I have already installed some plugins like
mythweather, I have some additional tables; but in total you should
have at least 35 tables. Check this with "show tables" within mysql.

If this isn't correct, start the setup-program of mythtv again;
apparently it wasn't able to install all needed tables.

> I thought it might be a permissions thing, but if you can't find the
> database, how can you set permissions?

The easiest way is this:

Check where mysql is putting the tables in the filesystem. On my
system (Debian) it is /var/lib/mysql. The directory "mythconverg"
and all the files in it has to be owned by mysql, group mysql.

> Is there an alternate way to create the databases?

Well - the most clean way _is_ to let them be created by the
setup-program, since it checks the integrity of the tables.

> > 3) make sure that mythbackend is started.  If you have it set up as a
> > daemon, use "service mythbackend start"
>
> Starting it makes no difference. I think it was running.

check it with "ps -ef|grep mythbackend"

Ciao, Hanno
--
|  Hanno Wagner  | Member of the HTML Writers Guild  | Rince at IRC      |
| Eine gewerbliche Nutzung meiner Email-Adressen ist nicht gestattet! |