[mythtv-users] Freaky TV-out problem with nvidia GF4 MX440

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sat Mar 6 15:33:51 EST 2004

On Mar 6, 2004, at 01:14, Nowhere wrote:

> Thanks for the response. I was at 1024x768 the first time around. I did
> however try to go at it at 800x600 this time with the same results. The
> TV manual mentions nothing of frequencies.

Unfortunately, most TV manuals I've come across suck. They never
counted on people hooking computers to them. ;-)

> The only thing I can think to do is to re-install from scratch once
> again with the Sony monitor attached. The TV is also a Sony (can't
> imagine that would make a difference).

Shouldn't make a difference, but who knows.

> The one thing that puzzles me tho is why no matter what I set the
> HorizSync and VertRefresh to, when I reattach the monitor it works
> fine.

Modern multisync monitors can usually handle a very wide array of sync
and refresh values, so no surprise there.

> If I set HorizSync to 15.7, X will no longer start at all telling me
> v41
> module does not exist when connected to the TV but it works fine with
> no
> visible change when connected to the monitor with no modification of
> the
> XF86Config.

Huh. No clue what's happening there.

> So trial and error learning isn't going to well ;)

Doesn't sound like it...

> BTW if I boot the Fedora disk 1 up in the unit while connected to the
> TV, TV-out dies at the point where the install goes to X...

The Fedora disc only has use of the nv driver, which doesn't support
TV-Out for X, so no surprise there either. You could do a text-mode
install though.

> I'm beginning to wonder if the MB has gone bad during it's one week
> burnin...

I don't think so, but you never know.

> Thanks again. Let me know if you think of anything else...

That's all I got right now... =)

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...