[mythtv-users] Hardware review before the plunge..

Matthew Geller mgeller at mn.rr.com
Sat Mar 6 14:36:36 EST 2004

I have read the forums now for a couple weeks and come up with the following
hardware configuration.  Please let me know if you have any concerns.  I was
going to run Fedora assuming no huge testing issues.  BTW I do realize the
front-end cpu's are a little over powered but I am considering an hdtv
option in the future.  Thanks..

Initial test box (hardware split up as shown below into backend/frontend
boxes)

Tyan Tiger-133 Dual P2-400
512MB RAM
Dual Western Digital 120GB ATA133 drives (Board only supports UDMA/ATA/66)
Hauppauge WinTV PVR-250
SoundBlaster Live
Chaintech Geforce4 MX4000

Final hardware design assuming testing is ok and WAF is high

Backend
Tyan Tiger-133 Dual P2-400
515MB RAM
Dual Western Digital 120GB ATA133 drives (Board only supports UDMA/ATA/66,
if this become an issue I will upgrade to a Promise FastTrak TX2000)
2 x Hauppauge WinTV PVR-250

Frontend (For entertainment room)
Biostar M7VIF
Athlon XP 2000+
512MB RAM
Chaintech Geforce4 MX4000
SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS PCI Card
Network boot or 20GB drive if I cannot get that working

Frontend (For bedroom)
Chaintech 7NIF2
Athlon XP 2000+
512MB RAM
Onboard TV-Out
On-board Sound Out
Network boot or 20GB drive if I cannot get that working