[mythtv-users] @ X sessions?

stan stanb at panix.com
Sat Mar 6 08:50:27 EST 2004

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 07:15:07AM -0500, jose rubio wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-03-05 at 20:53, stan wrote:
> > I've got a system I'm working at setting up. It's based on the latest
> > KnoppMyth, and has 2 capture cards in it, a PVR-350, and a PVR-250.
> >
> > I've pretty much got things working to the monitor. I'm also able to send
> > the output of recorded shows, or "live" TV to the TV Out on the 350, since
> > I've loaded teh saa7127 module.
> >
> > Now, I'm playing around with teh ivrv-fb module to get the X session runing
> > on the TV monitor. However, I'm not at all happy with what I'm seeing there
> > (oversacn, and it's not very sharp).
> >

> Yep, the resolution of an analog tv is not very good, even compared to
> the worst monitors out there.

Yes, but in my casem there is something even more wrong than that. The
X background is _way_ to big, and even once mythTV comes up it's still
something like 10 to 20 pervent larger than the TV can display. And it's
fuzzy to the point of not being readable.

Also, if I just load the saa7172 module, and check the "Use PVR-350 out",
I get a very nice looking display of the show I'n watching (albeint I
can't seem to gracefully exit the playback :-(). But if I load the ivtv-fbi
module, and change the X vonfig file so the X session is on the TV, then
plyaback (with PVR-350 out enabled, _or not_ , I get a very poor quality
picture.

I'm suspecting that the problme lies in my Xconfig file.

> > I'm thinking that I should be able to set up 2 X session, one to the AGP
> > card/monitor, and the 2nd to the 350's frame buffer. I've doen something
> > like this in the past, with 2 gdm sessions on 2 different VT's. However
> > looking at the somewhat complex way all this is started with KnoppMYTH, I
> > find myself a bit lost as to how to go about it. I do have 2 working X
> > config files, one for the AGP card, and one for the 350's frame buffer
> > (although I suspect the later needs a bit of tweaking).
> >

> you don't need two x-sessions or two gdm's, i have one session with two
> displays :0.0 for my monitor and :0.1 for my tv.
> To run myth on the tv:
>
> export DISPLAY:0.1 && mythfrontend
>
> Look at my XF86Config file (attached)
>
> Have you read the file ivtv-fb.c?  The begining of it is a HOWTO on
> setting up X to run this way.

Ah, thnaks so much for the pointer on that! And the X confi file!

Very helpful.

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin