[mythtv-users] IR Control of new Myth box

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Fri Mar 5 05:28:26 EST 2004

Michael Segulja wrote:

>Uh, yeah... I know big brother isn't watching me specifically, but they're watching, and don't you think that's concern enough?  Especially when I'm paying for the hardware, plus paying a monthly fee to use the hardware, for them to turn around and collect demographic information from me that they can then use to advertise to me?!  They should pay ME for that info.

They're NOT watching.  For this to be the sinister thing that people try
to make it out to be they'd have to be able to say "Michael Segulja
watch Good Times 3 times this week ".  Instead all they can say is "Good
Times was watched 3 times this week.".  And is there really anything on
cable, or satellite TV that you really care that someone knew you
watched it?  I can't think of anything that subversive or perverted..
Ans since you agreed to it when you signed up for their service you have
nobody to blame but yourself and shouldn't be bitching about Big Brother.

Sorry for going on about this, but Tivo gets a bad rap for this all
every year time they make some sort of announcement and it STUPID.  This
was all hashed out YEARS ago by privacy experts and deemed to be a
non-issue.