[mythtv-users] IR Control of new Myth box

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Thu Mar 4 20:45:53 EST 2004

Michael Segulja wrote:

>I just finished building a test system to run Myth to demo for my wife more than anything.  After the big Superbowl fiasco with Janet's Jackson, I heard about Tivo's tracking of it's users viewing habits.  Well, being that I have a Tivo, and did not realize Big Brother was watching prior to that, I'm ready to go with an open source solution.

*sigh*  Big brother isn't watching YOU.  Tivo doesn't care what YOU as a
person watch.  It's not tracked on an individual basis.   There are
quite a few reasons why one might choose MythTV over Tivo but Tivo's
data collection shouldn't be one of them.

>So, the big key here is impress the wife with Myth and show it can do everything Tivo can and more.  My question is regarding IR remote control.  Is there a standard that all of you in myth-land have come to love?  I have a Sony RM-VL1000 that I absolutely love, and would really like to make use of for Myth.  I have no idea how to go about this though?  Would it even work?
There's no reason why it wouldn't work provided you have an IR receiver
attached to your machine.  Visit http://lirc.org for more info.
Personally I use a "One for All" universal remote with PVR buttons.