[mythtv-users] PVR-350 survey - what works and what doesn't?

Nathan Berg nathan at jfet.net
Wed Mar 3 21:04:05 EST 2004

I am running:

1 PVR-350 (and using the S-video out)
Tyan S1894 motherboard (VIA chipsets across the board)
Pentium III - 600MHz Coppermine
512MB PC133
40G Maxtor HD (OS)
200G Maxtor HD (store)
Voodoo 3500 video (not much use)

Gentoo 2.4.22-gentoo-r5
mythtv 0.14-r1
ivtv 0.1.9
xfree86 4.3.0-r4

I have DMA enabled, and my kernel has SMP (APIC) enabled because I can't
get it off for some reason, so I am booting with noapic for now.

Problems:

- Live preview in the Recorded Programs listing will kill a recording in
progress (cut and paste from Scott's post). I disable this feature.
- I am getting a hard crash (blinking caps and scroll lock) every night,
and about once during the day.
- I am also getting mythbackend timeouts, and lose parts of recordings
whenever things go south.
- The screen will black out and I will get seg faults when working with
the EPG

Why it's worth it:

- Picture quality is perfect. I would say it even looks better, but that
wouldn't make sense.
- I am only losing around 1 out of 5 recordings
- Watching live TV is great if I stay away from the EPG

I would like to patch my system with the latest and greatest 0.1.9 ivtv
driver, but I haven't found the right documentation. If someone has a
pointer? Same goes for mythtv. Currently I am just waiting for the 0.9.10
release of ivtv.

Thanks dev-team! You guys are the best!

Nathan