[mythtv-users] mythdvd pvr-350 tvout playback

Tom Walsh tom at openhardware.net
Wed Mar 3 15:30:58 EST 2004

John Kuhn wrote:

> searching the lists shows a patched mplayer will play dvd's thru my
> pvr's tvout (with slow and somewhat jerky playback and no menus) and
> also a Xine patch for ivtv (which i still cant locate on the ivtv site)
>
> my question is.. if anyone has successfully got dvd playback working
> with their pvr350 tvout could you please clue me in on whats the best
> option.. and possibly what patchs and such i would need.. I'm planning
> on getting this all working soon and trying to go down the right road
> and reduce headaches :)

Yeah, btdt.  I was not happy with using the patched MPlayer + the
PVR-350 framebuffer for playing DVDs.  I had terrible problems with
framedrops and video syncing up with the audio!  The audio sync problem
is the worst, I found that I needed a unique delay value to pass to
mplayer for each DVD.  This delay value seemed to have a tendancy to
drift and, at times, when you push the REWIND button, you would cause it
to lose audio sync.  You could get the audio sync'ed again by pressing
REWIND + PAUSE + PAUSE a few times to flush the mplayer buffers, but...

What I am using now is a Mad Dog GeForce4 MX 440 8X video card that I
picked up at Office Max for $79.  The DVD playback is really good, there
is still some issues with software codec jitter, but now really all that
objectionable.  However, if you are a purist, get a DVD player. ;)  The
TVOUT of the NVidia card is really reasonable, there is also some slight
jitter issues when viewing an action scene, but is not too bad.

I am currently considering building a software controllable video switch
so that I can switch between using the PVR-350 TVOUT for everything but
DVD playback.  I plan toggle the video before calling mplayer to play a
DVD.  For watching TV, and recorded TV, the PVR-350 video is far
superior to the AGP card.

Oh, btw: Tyan S2495, Athlon 2800+ XP, 1Gig DDR, Mandrake 9.2, 370Gig
logical volume, Plextor 708A.

TomW