[mythtv-users] Maudio Dio 2496 S/PDIF

Brian Huffman sheep at graze.net
Wed Mar 3 12:15:01 EST 2004

All,

    Sorry to cross-post, but I have spent quite some time trying to figure this
out (and a lot of googling too).  I'm trying to setup the Maudio DiO 2496 using
the S/PDIF Optical outputs...mainly I'm trying to get mythtv to work, but I"ve
been unsuccessful with ALSA on this card for anything ranging from mythtv to
mplayer to xine.

    If I just point to /dev/dsp it uses the OSS emulation and it works (even
with the optical), but trying to specify the alsa drivers in mplayer or xine, I
get anything ranging from no sound to errors on alsa_init.  I've tried to play
with the alsamixer commandline but I'm very confused by the options here.  I've
also used the envy24control with no good results.

    In addition, MythTV doesn't seem to allow me to specify anything like
"ALSA:hw:0,0" or "ALSA:default" or really anything other than what's in the
pulldown box on the frontend setup...so even if I can get xine or mplayer
working from the commandline, I'm not quite sure what to do here.  Can anyone
help?

    The reason that I'm trying to use ALSA instead of the OSS emulation is that
#1 I'm assuming the quality may be better....I'm currently getting some pops /
clicks in mythtv using the OSS.  And I am also trying to get the ac3 out to my
receiver - which I'm not sure can be done with the OSS emulation.

Thanks in advance!
Brian