[mythtv-users] PVR-350 survey - what works and what doesn't?

Carl mythtv at carldunham.com
Wed Mar 3 01:08:30 EST 2004

I've never had the "kills recordings" problem that everyone else seems to see.
I do see occasional mythfrontend freezes (usually ivtv-fb module reload
"fixes" it, albeit with corrupt fb images). Generally I see this while
skipping around. Rarely, a whole system lockup will occur.

The #50 "ck" driver and ivtvfb X module do seem MUCH better, although the hard
freezes are more frequent. I'm off to try #51 now...

System:
PVR-350
EPIA/800 (VIA Samuel  2 C3, mini-itx)
Gentoo 2.4.22-gentoo-r1

On Tuesday March 2 2004 22:37, Scott Anderson wrote:
> While I'm still wrestling with getting my PVR-350 card working, I keep
> reading about the supposed hordes of people for whom It Just Works. :-)
>
> So I thought I'd run a quick survey to see what people were running and
> what seems to work, and maybe a trend will develop.
>
> I have:
>
> PVR-350 (obviously)
> Gigabyte GA-7VM266 (this has a VIA KM266 chipset)
> AMD 2000
> 512M Corsair Value RAM 2700
>
> Debian Unstable
> mythtv-frontend 0.14-5
> mythtv-backend 0.14-5
> ivtv 0.1.9 (I've also tried the "0.1.9a" patched version, with no
> visible changes)
> lirc 0.7.0rc2
> xserver-xfree86 4.3.0-2
>
> I have live preview in the guide set off.
>
> hdparm -I shows:
> Capabilities:
>         LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
>         bytes avail on r/w long: 40     Queue depth: 1
>         Standby timer values: spec'd by Standard, with device specific
> minimum
>         R/W multiple sector transfer: Max = 16  Current = 16
>         Recommended acoustic management value: 128, current value: 254
>         DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5
>              Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
>         PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
>              Cycle time: no flow control=120ns  IORDY flow control=120ns
>
> Existing problems:
>
> Live preview in the Recorded Programs listing will kill a recording in
> progress.
> Viewing any recorded program will freeze the frontend, sometimes 2
> seconds in, sometimes 15 minutes in.
> Fast forward at speeds higher than 1X will freeze the frontend.
>
> Live TV seems to work just fine.
>

> I can't think of any other details to post...
>
> Regards,
> -scott

Howard Dean for America
http://www.DeanForAmerica.com