[mythtv-users] Feature suggestion: Set record from URL

Tony Maro tony at maro.net
Tue Mar 2 14:10:31 EST 2004

The thread on "What do you watch" got me to thinking...

What about integrating a feature through the myth web browser that you
can select a link on a site to trigger a recording setup.  It would
automatically set a show to record at any time on any channel.

With a feature like this, users of Myth could publish pages of what hot
shows they watch and you could just click the link to set a "record on
any channel at any time" for that show name.

We've seen people ask for some of the Tivo like force-feed options
(why?) and this would kind of solve that need as well.  For instance,
you go to my site and I could have a page that says "if you like
Stargate SG-1, try the following shows:" and then list similar sci-fi
content as a custom URL link.

Of course this means a URL handler would need to be registered.
Something like:

mythtv://Stargate%20SG-1/once/Window&20Of&20Opportunity

would set it to record the Stargate SG-1 "Window Of Opportunity" episode
next time it's on.

mythtv://Stargate%20SG-1/all

would of course record all episodes on any channel from here on out.

To take it a step further, I could list a website of all stargate
episodes with MythTV links so if there was a specific episode you hadn't
seen, you could just click the link and your MythTV would record THAT
episode next time it's on (even if 3 months later.)  (I still haven't
seen the one where Daniel dies/transcends.)

Of course all URL recordings must be able to record on any channel,
because everyone's channels will be different.

Just a thought...

This could even be implemented with a separate app that handled the URL
and fed the data into mySQL.  That way it could even be run on the
desktop PC and feed the programming across the network to the backend or
mySQL server.  Heck you could even write it in PHP pretty easily I'd think.

-Tony