[mythtv-users] Hey all

Ed Benckert ed at ebonmists.com
Tue Mar 2 11:24:44 EST 2004

Joseph A. Caputo wrote:

> I'm really can't speak to the efficiency of the mythmusic
> playlist-parsing code; however, I seem to recall doing a simple timing
> study way back when, and the loading/parsing of the playlist & metadata
> from the database was reasonably quick, compared to the interminably
> long time it takes to build the tree UI with all of the songs.  Any
> effort to speed up mythmusic needs to focus on the UI, methinks.  Yes,
> I agree it might be nice to have playlist architecture that leverages
> the database more, but I honestly don't think that's going to yield a
> very noticeable speed increase.

I'm playing with the software as we speak. The database load IS fast, as it
should be. The bottleneck is building the tree, I'm very slowly going
through the code (as I am very infamiliar with it) and trying to figure it
out. Right now my code is looping 348 times, and I'm trying to find out
why... I thought it was because I had 348 songs in my playlists, but I
deleted playlists from the DB and its still looping 348 times... so its
something else. Its not # of songs... I havd 1800. But that 348 item loop is
taking 4 seconds. At home with my myth pc hooked up to my 'real' database it
takes upwards of 30 seconds to build the tree.

I'll keep ya'll posted.