[mythtv-users] Strange backend activity

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Mar 1 14:10:04 EST 2004

On Monday 01 March 2004 13:08, Adam Biskobing wrote:
> A little bit more information, I've been watching my backend today
> trying to see when and where it starts eating up the CPU.  I
> scheduled a recording at 11:30, it was running fine eating up 2% of
> the cpu, until the end of the recording, where a mythbackend process
> with a nice level of 19 started to eat up 49-50% of the CPU, memory
> usage appears to be static.  Is this normal?  Any idea what this
> process is doing?  I've scheduled another recording to begin at 12:30
> to see what happens when it tries to do that recording.

That's the commercial flagging thread.  It runs with a nice priority of
19, so even though it looks like it's eating up all your CPU resources,
the kernel process scheduler will easily preempt it if something else
needs to run.  Search the archives for "commercial flagging thread" for
more info.  It usually takes about 1.5x the length of the recording
it's flagging to run.  You can disable automatic commercial flagging in
the frontend setup, if you like.

-JAC