[mythtv-users] Via CLE266 (via-slice) HW acceleration problems(segfault)

Ivan A. Beveridge ivan at dreamtime.org
Wed Jun 30 18:51:21 EDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 09:58:28PM +0200, Kenneth Aafløy wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 June 2004 19:09, Ivan A. Beveridge wrote:

> > I'm still rather baffled :(
>
> Me too! The messages above is printed very early in the loading of
> via_v4l_drv, so I'm suspecting that you might have a pciid not present in the
> driver.

Ha - this looks promising (in a warped kind of way ;)

http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.cfm?catid=28&threadid=55911&STARTPAGE=2

It mentions this thread:
http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.cfm?catid=28&threadid=56180&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

It re-emphasises that the unichrome guys (unichrome.sf.net) are dropping
v4l (and libddmpeg) as the way to get VIA hardware acceleration, and
moving to XvMC (like the Nvida). I wonder how much of a PITA that is for
the myth guys (you seem to be doing most with via stuff, Kenneth).

This is the description for the 2.6.7-epia1 patch:
---------------
longhaul now supports nehemiah, via_v4l_drv works again. via_v4l_drv is
deprecated and will not be in the next 2.6 kernel. Use xvmc or the 2.4
kernel in the future.

It looks like I need to either fiddle around (as mentioned in the 2nd
URL), or jump to 2.6.7 (and no further) .... I'd rather not go back to
2.4 kernel.

Cheers

Ivan
--