[mythtv-users]EPIA-M was Live TV Pauses

David myth at dgreaves.com
Wed Jun 30 16:52:55 EDT 2004

Eric Joe wrote:

>>I'd highly _not_ recommend the epia-m.   It's certainly not quiet (40mm
>>loud
>>fan on the cpu), and it's extremely slow -- too slow to do anything
>>interesting on.
>>

>Isaac,
>
>Thanks for the heads up. I will have to look elswhere then. Do you or
>anyone on the list have a suggestion for a small form factor
>solution?(Thats not terribly $$ and fairly quiet)  Not only is my main
>Myth box big and noisy, I am in the process of trying to come up with a
>"small as possible" solution for a frontend. I tested running a frontend
>on my laptop and was very impressed with performance and usabilty.
>
>Eric

m-ATX nvidia and an Antec Minuet.
Lovely half-height case - quieter even than the Overture.
I use the AOpen MK79G-1394 (I think the 1394 variant has TV-out and
t'others don't)
It has LAN, sound and VGA builtin. Plugin a CPU and RAM and disk and you
have a diddy frontend.

It also has BIOS fan speed adjustment - v.v.v. schweet ;)
My 2600 (overkill but WTH) runs cold at 75% fan speed.

I hacked a 1394 header cable into the S-video header on the mainboard
and spliced it into an S-video cable 'cos I couldn't get the bracket for
love nor money!

Slight downer is that the southbridge gets v. hot and it has an active
fan - but it's very quiet.

David
PS I RMA'ed the motherboard today :((
OTOH I liked it enough that I also bought another since Dabs told me
it'd be 4-6 weeks 'til they can get it repaired!