[mythtv-users] How to setup Nvidia TV-out for DVD playing (PVR-350 for playback)

Dudley Atkinson dudley at jdatkinson.net
Wed Jun 30 14:19:37 EDT 2004

Okay, so I've gotten a solution together that I like for playing DVD's.

The main display on my system is the PVR-350 using the ivtv_fb device.  This
is great for MythTV menu'ing.  But it won't do DVDs worth a *&(^.

So here is basically what I did:

1. Setup KDE ignoring the second Nvidia system (onboard my MSI motherboard)
   - named the ServerLayout for this "ivtv_layout"
   - used the "-layout ivtv_layout" option in the :0 line of Xservers
2. Verified it worked to my liking
3. Made a new user (myth2)
4. Made a .xinitrc in myth2 home directory
5. Made a .xserverrc in myth2 home directory
6. Modified the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to add a ServerLayout for the nvidia
   - named the ServerLayout for this "nvidia_layout"
   - made no changes for this in the Xservers file - why later
7. Made sure that /dev/dvd and /dev/cdrom were readable by myth2 user

Here is what I can do now:

1. As root at the end of the local startup, run
   "su - myth2 -c xinit"
   This launches the :1 display and runs the xterm to keep it open
2. When you want to run a dvd, run
   "mplayer dvd:// -vo xv -ao alsa1x:mixed-analog -fs -display :1"

Very cool, since the nvidia is great for DVD output (the xv driver).

To do:
   - dress up the console actions so that the IR and Keyboard drive mplayer
   - test where the console goes when I setup the myth2 :1 display
   - clean up the XAuthority since I did some xhost+ to allow the display
use

#!/bin/sh
xhost +
xterm &

#!/bin/sh
/usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 vt8 -ac -layout nvidia_layout