[mythtv-users] Playing DVDs on PVR-350

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jun 29 18:06:32 EDT 2004

Dudley Atkinson wrote:

>I think I'm headed toward using my nvidia display for the day-to-day things,
>and using the ivtv driver just for playback (although the nvidia playback
>quality looks pretty good).  I'd like to use the ivtv driver for all
>display, but it does a lot of strange things here and there.

Yeah.  I've still got some testing to do.  I'll either:
a) just use a pretty-good card with TV out (i.e. MX440 or FX5200SE) for
everything to get the benefits of Xv and OpenGL without sacrificing much
video quality
b) use the PVR-350's TV out for video and the video card's TV out for
DVD's, games, etc. while having LIRC automatically send signals to my
A/V receiver to switch outputs when necessary
c) use the video card's VGA out with a good quality VGA to NTSC converter.

I gave up on the PVR-350 TV out for everything.  It's a sweet picture,
but DVD playback leaves something to be desired.

Right now, I'm just trying to figure out how to get that pretty-good
video card for cheap.  Unfortunately, I was travelling when Harry O.
posted the message about the $20 PNY GF440MX at TigerDirect, and they've
sold out.  Now, I just can't bring myself to pay $30 when I've seen one
cheaper. ;)

Mike