[mythtv-users] DirecTV serial control problems

Obrien, Haskell W. obrienh at more.net
Tue Jun 29 15:46:41 EDT 2004

My howto stuff may help.
http://biobug.org/mythtv/directv.php

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of John OKeefe
Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 2:43 PM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: [mythtv-users] DirecTV serial control problems

I am having problems getting MythTV to control my DirecTV box.

I have a DB9 serial cable that I am using. I have verified that the
serial
cable works by using the DTVcontrol program here:
http://www.dtvcontrol.com/
With this control and a Windows 2000 computer I was able to successfully
change controls, turn power off and on, etc. I had to have the utility
use
the old command set as it did not work with the new command set.

I am using the rca.pl script downloaded from here:
http://tarek.2y.net/myth/

I have tried ttys0, ttys1, cua0, and cua1 and none work.

Is there a way to know exactly what port my serial cable is connected
to?

What is the difference between ttys ports and the cua ports?

Is there a serial port monitoring tool that will allow me to see
commands
being sent back and forth so I can see what is happening?

Any other thoughts on what I might need to do to get this working?

- John