[mythtv-users] Playing DVDs on PVR-350

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jun 29 07:14:21 EDT 2004

Stephen Longhurst wrote:

>>Is anyone doing any kludgy things to get the dvd output to go to the
>>/dev/video16 device without the x11 driver?  I saw an mplayer patch
>>referenced in April, but I can't find it now so it probably didn't work
>>well?
>>

>The mplayer patch was for outputting video using the pvr-350 osd, like
>the framebuffer driver.  This wasn't using the decoder.

Actually, you're both right.  There are two different MPlayer patches
making the rounds.

One of them ( http://www.poptix.net/ivtv/Mar-2004/msg00135.html )
patches MPlayer (v1.0pre3, so some updates/manual merging might be
necessary) to send MPEG data directly to the PVR-350's decoder for video
output (audio is still output using standard MPlayer audio drivers).
This one is used with a command like:
    mplayer -vo ivtv dvd://
( see http://www.poptix.net/ivtv/Mar-2004/msg00125.html for usage info
).  Oh, and Dudley, you're right--it doesn't (always) work very well.
It won't play some DVD's, but it does work very well for video recorded
by the PVR-350.  Of course, MythTV already does that well...

The second patch (
http://kmos.org/~ckennedy/ivtv/ivtv_apps/mplayer-ivtvosd.diff ) simply
uses DMA to write the video data to the OSD/framebuffer (once again, the
audio is still output with standard MPlayer audio drivers).  This one is
used with a command like:
    mplayer -vo ivtvosd dvd://
This one works with all DVD's (that MPlayer could otherwise play),
but--depending on your system--may result in a great deal of frame
dropping.  YMMV.

Mike