[mythtv-users] PVR-250 vs PVR-250MCE

Alan Carlson ACarlson at PHN-WACO.ORG
Mon Jun 28 13:02:01 EDT 2004

>>> dave at blender.net 6/27/04 10:22:24 AM >>>
> Yep, followed Jarod's guide.  My card numbers are the same.  I got
them from
> z-buy for $85 or something.  If I would've known I would have this
much
> trouble with them, I would've spent the extra money and gotten the
"real"
> cards from newegg....  Hopefully I can get this working.  I have a
replay
> now and really want to move to a multiple tuner, frontend/backend
system.
> Thanks for all your help.

>From your original posting:

> when I ran #/sbin/modprobe ivtv, I received the following errors:

/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2188.nptl_48.rhfc1.at/updates/drivers/media/video/ivtv.o:
> init_module: No such device
> Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
> including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
> You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg

/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2188.nptl_48.rhfc1.at/updates/drivers/media/video/ivtv.o:
> insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2188.nptl_48.rhfc1.at/updates/drivers/media/video/ivtv.o
failed

/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2188.nptl_48.rhfc1.at/updates/drivers/media/video/ivtv
.o:
> insmod ivtv failed
>
> dmesg output looks like this:
> i2c-core.o: i2c core module version 2.8.4 (20040207)
> Linux video capture interface: v1.00
> ivtv: version 0.1.10 (0.1.10pre2-ck94r) loading
> ivtv: User selected cardtype WinTV PVR 250rev1 for card #0
> ivtv: User selected cardtype WinTV PVR 250rev2 for card #1
> ivtv: User selected cardtype WinTV PVR 250rev3 for card #2
> ivtv: Error detecting PCI card

What it looks like to me is that something failed in the installation
of the of the ivtv drivers. If you search for the ivtv.o, you may not
find one in the the /lib/modules path. While signed in as root, do this
to chech:

# cd /
# find -name '*ivtv.o*'

This should find any ivtv.o files on your system. Even if you find
ivtv.o, to fix it I would try reinstalling the ivtv modules. Procede as
follows:

# apt-get remove ivtv
# export MYKERNEL=`uname -r`
# apt-get remove ivtv-kmdl-$MYKERNEL

Then set the /etc/apt/sources.list to use the at-bleeding sources as in
my original post.

Then repeat the following steps:
# apt-get update
# export MYKERNEL=`uname -r`
# apt-get install ivtv-kmdl-$MYKERNEL
# apt-get install ivtv

Review the output to ensure there are no errors and then test the
installation as in Jarod's guide.

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY: The content of this electronic mail and any attachments hereto may contain confidential business, proprietary, and/or health information that is protected by law and is intended only for the use of the specifically named recipient(s). In addition, such mail and attachments may contain a communication that is protected from disclosure by the attorney-client and/or attorney work-product privileges. The authorized recipient(s) of this information may not disclose such information to any other party unless permitted or required by law or regulation, and is required to destroy the information after its intended purpose has been fulfilled.

If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, copying, distribution, or action taken in reliance thereon is strictly prohibited. You are further notified that unauthorized use and/or disclosure of this information may subject you to criminal and/or civil prosecution in accordance with law.  If you have received this electronic mail in error, you are hereby ordered to immediately
destroy this message and contact the sender.