[mythtv-users] Re:Avermedia m179, Getting Hash from tuner input no matter what I do.

Gregory J. McGee gjmcgee at cableone.net
Mon Jun 28 12:18:18 EDT 2004

I had the same tuner noise issue when I installed mine 3 days ago.
Finally installed 2.6.7-1.sds.5mdk (From Thacs, Running Mandrake 10
here) as well as the ivtv rpms (firmware and Perl stuff)
I had to recompile the kernel from src as my /boot is on reiserfs,

It so far has worked flawlessly, no issues since I got it up.
Took ~ 4 hours, but the last hour was just compiling the kernel.
Beautiful video once I increased the grab to 720x480, it had the
"ghosting" Jarod and most everyone else reports at 704x480.

My modprobe config: The ivtv bit is modified from Jarods 2.4 example
(nforce2, bt878 card + M179)

alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
alias eth0 forcedeth
options i810_audio clocking=48000 #MUST do this for correct audio rate
options bttv whitecrush_upper=207 whitecrush_lower=127 latency=128
vbibufs=32 tuner=2 gbuffers=32
install scsi_hostadapter /sbin/modprobe dc395x_trm; /bin/true
install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe usb-ohci; /sbin/modprobe ehci-hcd;
/bin/true
alias /dev/nvidia*   nvidia
# ivtv modules setup
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
options ivtv ivtv_debug=1 mpg_buffers=90
options tuner type=2 # NTSC tuner
options msp3400 once=1 simple=1
#add below ivtv msp3400 saa7115 tuner

/etc/modprobe.preload:
i810_audio clocking=48000
bttv
scsi_hostadapter
nvidia
ivtv
msp3400
saa7115
tuner

Both of my tuners are Phillips NTSC (type 2s).(AvetTV Stereo and M179)