[mythtv-users] Re: Questions from a prospective MythTV user

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Mon Jun 28 11:32:23 EDT 2004

Eric Joe wrote:

>>> 2. I'd get certain channels off-air and others via Dish
>>>    Network. [...] Does it just "know" that, say, channel 12
>>>    comes from the TV antenna and 200 comes from Dish Network?
>>>

>I have Myth setup with my Directv Receiver. Myth doesnt "know" anything
>about what channel its on other than what is stored in the database. My
>Myth box changes the channel on the Directv Receiver use the serial port
>on the back. I am not sure how you would integrate a off-air signal into
>your Myth Setup. Even if you added the stations manually to your channel
>list, I am not sure if Myth can switch to a off-air signal.

Myth knows what lineups are connected to what inputs.  So if you have
your DirecTV receiver plugged into SVideo and an antenna plugged into
the antenna part of your capture card Myth is smart enough to say
"Channel 12 is on the tuner and I'm currently on the Svideo showing
channel 222.  Let's switch over to the tuner before changing to channel
12".  Works like a charm.

It gets a bit trickier if you have multiple cards and multiple inputs on
those cards but it's manageable.