[mythtv-users] Re: Questions from a prospective MythTV user

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Mon Jun 28 10:20:52 EDT 2004

On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 08:50:40AM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:

>  1. Is it possible to set up a MythTV "client" machine?

Yes.  It's referred to as a "front-end" machine.

>  2. I'd get certain channels off-air and others via Dish
>     Network. [...] Does it just "know" that, say, channel 12
>     comes from the TV antenna and 200 comes from Dish Network?

Don't know.  All I have is broadcast.

>  3. Does MythTV support the hardware MPEG *decoder* on the PVR-350?

Yes.

>  4. The PVR-350 can generate an encoded MPEG-2 stream in the specific
>     format used on DVDs.  MythTV, of course, can record that stream to a
>     hard disk.  I would like to be able to burn recorded programs to a
>     DVD that can be played in a standard player, and I want to do it
>     without having to recode the data.  How can I do that with MythTV?

Don't know.

>  5. Does MythTV support the FM tuner on the PVR-350?

The ivtv device driver for the '350 supports the FM tuner, but
I don't believe there is a radio application for Myth yet.

>  6. Does MythTV support playing audio CDs in a DVD drive?

Yes.

>     What module would I use to accomplish this?

MythMusic

>  7. Regarding the NES/SNES/whatever emulation (which sounds *very
>     cool*!)...  what input device would one use?

You should probably read the docs for the emulator in question.

--
Grant Edwards
grante at visi.com