[mythtv-users] building ivtvdev driver with gentoo

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Mon Jun 28 10:21:13 EDT 2004

At 08:56 28/06/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm running ivtv and mythtv just fine.
>
>What I'd like to do is run the Matthias ivtvdev X11 module.  I can't at the
>current time because the binary available isn't compatible.  So I'd like to
>compile the module.
>
>The Matthias code source doesn't include the X11 sources needed to compile
>the module.  Obviously I could download the X11 toolkit and make it all
>happpen.  I was wondering if there were a way to emerge the X11 system and
>include the Matthias code in the build?
>
>JD

Well, you already have the X sources in your portage tree. It's possible to
manually install the patch, and then replace the tarball, and then
re-emerge it, this time using the patch. Emerge will complain that the
source has the wrong hash and/or that the ebuild has changed; you can
circumvent this by creating a new digest file. If you muck up you can just
emerge-sync to replace it.

But again, a better solution is to build your own personal ebuild for it,
which would be just the same as the normal X build, except with an extra
patch command.

Theer's a huge chunk somewhere in the gentoo docs/forums about custom
settings for certain user-defined packages (involving manually creating a
config tree in /etc/portage); I'll see if I can dig about and find a bit
about it for you.