[mythtv-users] I just can't get it working.

Tim Tait t.tait at comcast.net
Sun Jun 27 23:30:13 EDT 2004

Stephen Tait wrote:

>> By all accounts SageTV for Windows is quite nice (even has networked
>> client/server modes) and easy to install, and offers most (all?) of
>> the mythtv functionality. I don't know how "thin" a client running
>> Windows can be though, and it will cost you $100 for both licenses
>> (plus Windows if needed).
>

> I don't think Sage had the client/server thing when I first looked at
> it; if it had of done I would have given it more than a second thought.
>
>> Truly (IMO) Mythtv is more for the hobbiest / linux hacker. If you
>> don't know linux and don't care to learn a lot about it, and really
>> want only to enjoy a PVR ASAP, then either TIVO or SageTV should be
>> you 1st choice.
>

> True enough; I guess I'm just one of those people who likes to fiddle
> and has too much spare time to fiddle in :^)

As am I. But give it another year or so and maybe it will be more
turn-key. In my case I already have a back-end linux server for file
sharing and domain control which is only lightly utilized, and I don't
want to add another for a windows backend. Also, I want a minimalist
presence of the PC at the media center. And I don't want to be locked in
to some deadend box (like prismiq etc) or a propietary restrictive
solution like tivo.

Tim