[mythtv-users] I just can't get it working.

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Sun Jun 27 10:09:33 EDT 2004

On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 06:59:13AM -0400, Raymond Day wrote:
> Thank you Hamish
>
> I put the card in my Windows XP computer. Loaded the CD that came with it.
> In about 5 minuites I was up and running. Could do every thing with the
> card. I spent 2 days trying to get mythtv to work on a linux type PC. I give
> up! It was so easy on windows XP!
>
> Mybe some day when they make one RPM of mythtv that will install easy. Like
> how webmin installs. Then I will try again. But I guess that will not be for
> years to come.

Raymond,

By all means use XP if it suits you and you're comfortable with it. In 5
minutes, were you watching TV with TV guide, time-shifting, scheduled
recording from the TV guide? Picture-in-picture? A mix of different
types of TV technology (analog, DVB, HDTV)? Simple interface to play
music, DVDs and AVI files, all remote-controllable?

I suspect not. If you can find software on Windows to do all that, by
all means run it and enjoy it. I guess not else you wouldn't have looked
at Myth in the first place.

I thought MythTV was worth putting a bit of effort in to myself. Yes
I've been working with Linux for years which helped a lot. But Myth's
features are great, so I think it's worth a bit of work to get going.

Hamish