[mythtv-users] no sound with xawtv unmuted

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Sun Jun 27 04:39:44 EDT 2004

On Sat, Jun 26, 2004 at 11:57:35AM +0100, xavier   wrote:
> I'm just a newbie in Mythtv and I've been trying to set up my audio stuff properly for
> almost a week, but no way!
> I got the ALSA drivers working ok with my sound blaster 128 (Ensoniq AudioPCI) and aplay
> works fine with wav files.
> My bttv TV capture card also works properly with the image, but I cannot hear the analog
> output when using xawtv. The TV card output is wired to the internal analog line-in input
> of the sound card, as explained in the HOWTO.

Maybe you should ask on the ALSA list, as this isn't a MythTV problem..

> Tried to play the dsp device
> aplay /dev/dsp
> with xawtv muted, but I cannot hear anything.

? Not sure what you're trying to do here. Why would you mute xawtv? Why
would you 'aplay /dev/dsp', when /dev/dsp is the sound card output
device?

You need to make sure that the right line-in device is selected as the
recording input AND has some input gain, for recording (with MythTV). To
hear it with xawtv, you need to make sure it has some playback gain.
(However when watching Myth, you'll want to turn the recording gain to
zero.)

Hamish