[mythtv-users] Re: IR transmitter

pete tyrstag at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 26 20:18:03 EDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-06-26 at 19:58, Craig Tinson wrote:
> Jon Waite wrote:
>
> >Just a quick tip having read your document which others may find useful:
> >
> >If you're building an IR transmitter and need to see if the IR LED is
> >functioning use the viewfinder of a digital camera (or camcorder), these
> >pick up and show IR light quite clearly (at least I haven't come across one
> >yet that doesn't). Saves mucking around swapping LED's and shows you that
> >you've got the polarity of your IR LED correct. Test your camera first by
> >viewing a working remote from your TV/whatever.
> >

> this sounds like a good tip.. so I just tried it with my olympus muji
> 300 camera.. using both an NTL digibox remote and a sanyo tv remote for
> a portable in my office.. couldn't see anything through the viewfinder..
> am I missing the point here?
>
> Craig
It should have worked, unless your camera has one heck of an IR filter
on it. They are added to cameras because there's is LOTs of IR in bright
sunlight. If they didn't have the filter, you would be able to see
through clothes. i.e using a sony nightshot camera in nightshot mode
during the day. (sony has since changed the way these work, so don't run
out and buy one >:) they used to bypass the filter in nightshot mode,
now they use a smaller filter)

but, anyway, you should probably see SOMETHING. try turning the lights
low and pointing the ir directly at the camera lens and try it. it's not
very bright but you can definitely see it.

--Pete