[mythtv-users] Possible Addon Idea -- Program Suggestions

Scott Nicholson mythtv at scottnic.com
Fri Jun 25 19:20:52 EDT 2004

> > program would monitor mythtv frontend logs in conjunction with the mysql
> > database to get viewing habits.  These would periodically be sent to my
> > server.  My server would then use this data to generate personalized
> > suggestions.  Users could then either log onto a website to view
> > suggestions, have them emailed to them, or perhaps have suggestions
> > automatically scheduled via the mythweb interface.
>
> a) Everything is open source.
> b) The server runs on mythtv.org.
> Then, yeah, something like that could be integrated into Myth.

Does it have to run on MythTV.org? If all the data were stored in a MySQL
database, an imaginatively-built query could probably retrieve a list of
suggestions, with no logic required on the server side. (I'm not a MySQL
guru, but I know enough that I think something like this would be possible,
if the database were constructed correctly).

In that case, all you'd need is a server with an open port for MySQL
connections (require a username/password, both to identify viewing data and
to protect the server from unauthorized use.) All the logic could be on the
frontend.

Which means that people could set up their own server (or configure their
backend to act as a server -- just add another table or two to mythconverg)
for their own group of friends, if they choose. (Wasn't someone thinking of
something along these lines in the copyright thread a few days ago?)

Of course, an "official" server at mythtv.org would be great, too -- it
would probably have the most users, and therefore the best/most
comprehensive list of recommendations.

But the ability to specify the server in the myth settings would be great
for those who wanted to go their own way.

Just a few thoughts, but this has me interested enough that I'll probably
spend some time putting together some fake data to try mysql queries on...

Scott

---