[mythtv-users] Stuck at installing mythtv

Tony Rein trein at one.net
Fri Jun 25 12:48:54 EDT 2004

Raymond Day wrote:

>Hi all.
>
>I got a WinTV-PVR 250 card. I have Fedora 2 on a 500 Mhz computer. I got to the:
>
>apt-get install ivtv-kmdl-$MYKERNEL
>
>But it comes back with:
>
>E: Couldn't find package ivtv-kmdl
>
>Mykernel is 2.6.6-1.435
>
>It this why? Is there a ivtv-kmdl for this kernel?
>
>I been doing this from http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php
>
>-Raymond Day

As a first guess, it looks like your problem is fairly simple: $MYKERNEL
has not been defined before you do the "apt-get" command.

Try this:

export $MYKERNEL=`uname -r`; apt-get install ivtv-kmdl-$MYKERNEL

(Note that capitalization matters when you type $MYKERNEL. Be consistent
- it doesn't matter whether it's upper-case or lower-case,
as long as it's the same both times you type it.)

(Note also that the punctuation marks around the uname -r command aren't
quote marks, but "backticks." On most US keyboards, the backtick is over
on the left above the Tab key.)

As an alternative, run the command:

    uname -r

and note what it says. Let's say it spits out "2.6.6-1.435." Then, run
the command:

    apt-get install ivtv-kmdl-2.6.6-1.435

I hope this helps.
Tony