[mythtv-users] Minimum CPU for separate backend

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Fri Jun 25 08:50:57 EDT 2004

>For a pvr-x50, a 233MHz should be completely fine for a backend.

Like everyone says, most backend processes use little or no CPU. Commercial
detection and transcoding do benefit from fast CPU's, but pretty much any
processor from the past 6 or 7 years should be able to handle the bulk of
the backend work.

>Be careful, though... My old dual Celeron 300->450 BP6 did not recognize
>my PVR-250.  I think it's a newer PCI revision (subtle little suckers)

Different PCI revisions usually have the notches on the the PCI slots in a
different place so you (usually) can't physically fir the card in. The
first board I tried my 250 in didn't show it up either; this was due to
there not being enough free IRQ's to give the 250 one to itself.