[mythtv-users] Nvidia vs. ATI video cards

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Fri Jun 25 06:45:11 EDT 2004

At 05:47 25/06/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>Josh Evnin wrote:
>
>>Which type of video card should I get?  I hear a lot of people
>>discussing Nvidia, but is ATI also acceptible?  I seem to see lower
>>prices on the ATIs.  Thanks for the help.
>>

>Get and an nVidia card.  Just grab a Geforce 4 MX card for 40 bucks or so
>and you're good to go.  ATIs Linux drivers pretty much suck for TV out
>under Linux.

If you use the ATI drivers, yes they do suck (from what other people have
said anyway). But the Radeon 9200 cards are very well supported via X's
open source drivers; you don't get the 3D capability, but you do get 2D
accel and good TV-out.

Personally though, I'm more inclined to support nVidia, as they seem to
give more of a crap about Linux than ATI do, and their closed source
drivers are of far higher quality than ATI's (again, from what other people
have said).