[mythtv-users] Nvidia Driver Woes

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Jun 24 22:01:02 EDT 2004

On Friday 25 June 2004 16:53, Jason keirstead wrote:
> On June 24, 2004 11:35 pm, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > Well, if you don't care to know the whole story, please don't give other
> > people advice.
>
> There is no reaosn to be hostile.

Where is the hostility in my statement? You said you don't care to know the
whole story. I requested that if you don't care to know the whole story, then
you shouldn't be giving advice. I even said please. I see nothing hostile
there.

> I could say the same thing about your
> viewpoint - by not suggesting the newer drivers to fix the problem you are
> assuming that he does not play any games on his myth box ( a big
> assumption, seeing how having a multipurpose box is the whole point of
> using a PC instead of a standalone PVR ), and you are also assuming that he
> does not care about XRender on any applications.

I read his question, and the fact he was following the document *I* wrote. Its
pretty safe for me to assume he was using the 4363 drivers, because of the
reasons I suggest in my document (overscan and vsync aren't broken).

> From my experience with using TV out on many different televisions the need
> for Overscan is not as high a priority as having a well functioning driver
> in a general sense.

Obviously, a functioning driver is the highest priority. But for many people
on this list, the definition of functioning includes overscan, so quite a few
of us use 4363. You're speaking only from personal experience, with very
little knowledge of the history of this mailing list and its users. I've been
here quite a while.

> Some people may want the newer driver, some may not,
> but you shouldn't just tell people "don't use it"

I didn't. I said it was broken, with respect to overscan and vsync.

> without telling them the
> pros and cons of both the 4363 vs. the 5336.

I already did.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com