[mythtv-users] Patching ATrpms kernels for pcHDTV support

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Jun 24 20:42:42 EDT 2004


On Thursday 24 June 2004 16:17, David George wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > On Thursday 24 June 2004 14:13, David George wrote:
> > > I was one of those that posted the segfaults on the pcHDTV forum.  I
> > > was originally using a kernel.org 2.6.6 and couldn't get dtvsignal to
> > > work (it would segfault).  Then when 2.6.7 was available I used the
> > > pcHDTV patches against it and everything worked great (except that my
> > > CPU is too slow).
> >
> > Including dtvsignal?
>
> Yes, including dtvsignal.  One thing I did while I was still running 2.6.6
> and trying to find the problem was recompile the tools.

Ah, good call. I may try that when I get back at it.

> > > I have patched a new vanilla 2.6.7 with the latest v4l2 drivers and the
> > > pcHDTV patches.
> >
> > The very latest stuff from Gerd? Axel has a 2.6.7 kernel patched with the
> > very latest v4l2 stuff, and I couldn't get the pcHDTV patches to apply
> > cleanly on top of them, due to several changes... I briefly looked at
> > what it would take to manually patch them in, but it was all over my
> > head. Too many differences, I didn't want to break something.
>
> Yes, these: http://dl.bytesex.org/patches/2.6.7-1/patch-2.6.7-kraxel.gz
> They didn't apply cleanly, but only two failed and one was because of the
> version number in the kernel Makefile.

Yeah, I yanked the Makefile part already.

> The other was tuner.c and that one 
> required a few changes.

And that would be the one that gave me issues.

> I'll send a patch in another email.

Cool, thanks!

> There were  
> also a couple of fuzzies, but everything seems to work as well as when I
> was running just the pcHDTV patches against the vanilla 2.6.7 (no kraxel
> patch).  Mind you I haven't tried Myth at all yet.

We'll have to keep each other posted. :-)

> > Crap like taking time tinkering with my pcHDTV card keeps detracting from
> > my guide update time... But I want to put this $600 investment to use
> > now!
>
> Same here.  It is fun to tinker, but at the same time I want my cake and
> eat it too.  Good thing we are in re-runs now.  I would *really* be
> motivated if there was new HDTV content playing right now.  Of course I
> have had my pcHDTV since Sep last year I think.  Well I ordered it
> before it was shipping anyway.  It has taken me until the last month or
> so before I started working on it.

Yep, same here, had the card for months. I played with it a bit initially, but 
stability wasn't so hot, and I couldn't use it in my production setup and 
still use the PVR-x50 at the time, so it sat for several months. Tinkered a 
bit here and there, but just this week that I've really started putting any 
time into it.

-- 
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
MythTV, Fedora Core & ATrpms documentation:
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/
MythTV Searchable Mailing List Archive
     http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 189 bytes
Desc: signature
Url : http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/attachments/20040624/6cf70945/attachment.pgp


More information about the mythtv-users mailing list