[mythtv-users] Hardware ideas

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Jun 24 19:14:18 EDT 2004

On Thursday 24 June 2004 15:45, Stephen Tait wrote:
> >Wow.
>
> <penis>Almost as good as my dual Athlon MP with 500GB of RAID1 on a 3ware
> 8506-8 in a PCI-X slot with gigabit ethernet</penis> ;^)

<even bigger>I reserve the dual Athlon MP for my workstation machine, with 2GB
of RAM and 4x36GB 10krpm SCSI drives on an Adaptec 2100s RAID controller. As
for the storage, my file server has 1TB of disk space across 7 drives,
RAID-5'd. And GigE.</even bigger> =)

> >See, there's my problem. If it's not stable it'll drive me crazy. I have
> >enough finicky stuff around the house as it is.
>
> The 350 framebuffer is perfectly stable so long as you're prepared to
> install teh haXx0r3d version of XFree

Eh? I'm running XFree86 4.3 as distributed by Red Hat, with nothing more than
the ivtvdev driver added... Perfectly stable. And what version are you
talking about?...

> >This is really informative. Thank you. See, I've been archiving my DVDs
> >into the computer for a while now, and there's a smattering of codecs at
> >this point. All playable under my current desktop linux, but they'd need
> >to work on whatever new video card I set up.
>
> The EPIA is OK for most MPEG4 from what I've seen, but will choke on high
> res stuff.

Depends on the codec and how high res you're talking. Mine handles fine with
xvid and ffmpeg mpeg4 DVD rips at 768x432 (or whatever it is when dvd::rip
re-scales anamorphic stuff to a 16:9 rez using the HQ settings).

> I was *very* tempted by these boards until I found this out, as
> I too have a few hundred of my DVD rips on the file server.

Some of mine don't work on my EPIA/350 combo (hooked to a 27" analog set), but
I almost always watch them on my HDTV anyhow, which as a plenty fast machine
hooked to it.

> > > For reference, I have four hardware encoder cards and two
> > > software ones. The two software ones now do nothing more than tune FM
> > > radio on my workstation, three of the hardware encoder cards are in my
> > > production Myth boxes, one in my dev box. You can always transcode to
> > > mpeg4 post-mpeg2 capture if space is a concern.
> >
> >Point taken.
>
> Same thing here. I record in highest-res-possible MPEG2, and if it's worth
> saving it gets transcoded into MPEG4/XviD. The major frontend has 180GB (80
> + 120 LVM) of space, and I don't watch enough TV to fill it up. As an
> aside, I prefer mencoder to myth's inbuilt transcoding utils (for one
> thing, I know what container format it uses!).

And the EPIA/350 combo does NOT play back Myth's mpeg4 nuv files well.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...