[mythtv-users] Hardware ideas

Craig Box craig at dubculture.co.nz
Thu Jun 24 18:40:52 EDT 2004

>> On Fri, 25 Jun 2004, Clyde Stubbs wrote:
>>> If you want TV-out, I recommend staying away from the MX440 - the
>>> closed source drivers lack various features like interlacing, and
>>> the picture quality from the on-board TV encoder is disappointing.
>>> The open-source drivers have dismal performance.
>
> And I recommend the GeForce 4 MX-440. Works great for me, and many
> other folks. And for the second time, the TV encoder on a GeForce
> card DOES interlace the signal for output to a TV, just like the
> Radeon does. The no-interlacing ONLY affects VGA or DVI output. Now,
> perhaps the Radeon does better with timings than the GF4s. I'm
> curious if you have deinterlacing turned on in your setup...

On this subject, I've read about the XvMC driver lately, but nothing
concrete about how it works or how to use it.  It's not something I can turn
on in the X config, I guess it needs to be in the drivers.

I have a GF4MX and I read that these support 'hardware MPEG decoding'; from
what I read, XvMC is related to this.

I'm running FC2, 2.6.5-358-8kstacks from Linuxant, the 5336 drivers from
Nvidia, and Axel's 0.15.1 MythTV rpms.  Is XvMC worth having, and is it
enabled in this config, how would I tell if it was, etc?

Craig