[mythtv-users] Re: Homebrew PVR Multi-Circuit

Gert van der Knokke gertk at xs4all.nl
Wed Jun 23 18:28:07 EDT 2004

Tim Tait wrote:

> USB sounds better to me too. Serial ports are vanishing...
>
> But USB is a logical bus, not a physical bus topology, so putting both
> on one physcal set of wires won't work, a hub is needed.
>
> Though if you had an advanced multi-function USB chip it may support
> two devices internally. I don't know the PL2303 well enough to comment.

As the device is a USB to serial adapter it will have both TX out and RX
in or vice-versa and a bunch of status/control lines. If you hook this
up to a microcontroller you can send button and IR receive information
to the PC and display the information send from the PC on the LCD display.

One USB device can do many things, for example an scanner/printer/fax
combo. I just wanted to state that there is no need for two physical
connections

But nowadays there a microcontrollers with integral USB support, maybe
they are even more suitable for this kind of project.

Gert