[mythtv-users] Re: Homebrew PVR Multi-Circuit

Gert van der Knokke gertk at xs4all.nl
Wed Jun 23 17:10:22 EDT 2004

Steven White wrote:

> I've read over all of the replies here and have made some decisions.
> I'm going to try using the PL2303 for USB connectivity.  To make
> things easier, I'm going to keep the LCD and IR transceiver on
> separate connections and make them compatible with existing drivers.
> This means that I either use 2 USB connections or a USB and a serial
> connection.  Which way would work out best for you guys?

I think the best choice would be to go for an all USB system, it keeps
the system simple.
With the RS232 you need an extra supply as there isn't enough power on
the serial port for LCD (backlight) IR receiver (transmitter) and a
microcontroller. (well maybe if you select some super low power uC :-)
USB has plenty of juice.

BTW you don't need 2 physical USB connections as the USB system is a bus
system anyway.

Gert