[mythtv-users] HDTV?

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Wed Jun 23 15:01:33 EDT 2004

> Do you mean XvMC?  Pretty much the patch will ONLY be usefull to people
> using X in one form or another.  Either Xv or XvMC should work fine with it.

 	I was actually talking about XV extension.  I know that XV does
hardware video scaling (like 720x480 on an 800x600 resolution).  I was thinking
mostly about possibly getting more poop out of vid cards that don't have XV
(e.g. Matrox Millenium).  If it didn't have to software-scale and could instead
switch hard resolutions, it might be faster.  I think XV does colorspace
conversions as well though, right?  If so it probably wouldn't help too much.

 	Due to my incredibly odd setup requiring interlacing, XV, and very low
frequency (NTSC) output, finding a video card that does them all is very tough.
I've found a R128 that will do it all (although XV driver is buggy and has
scaling problems).  My Matrox doesn't do XV, and my NVIDIA doesn't do
interlacing.

> It uses xrandr to do the resolution switching.  As Doug suggested in his
> original version of the patch, it make a system call rather than using
> library calls, to reduce the library dependancy.
 	Sounds like a good plan.  RANDR is a pretty new feature for X IIRC.

> I have also discovered that it does not work well with "light"
> destktops/window managers.  KDE and Gnome work fine, but ratpoison and XFCE
> do not seem to do the right thing.

 	Probably just not enough vitality to have it a priority yet.