[mythtv-users] No Sound with nForce chipset <--- FIXED!

Ryan Allen ryan at the-summit.net
Tue Jun 22 22:23:11 EDT 2004

I agree.  I tried to get that setup working, by using many different
HOWTO documents scattered all over the Internet.  Nothing seemed to
work.  I was very desperate to get _anything_ working at all, and by
disabling XvMC, I can actually use the machine.

The CPU seems to stay very low, which tells me I am getting HW encode
from the 350.

But I believe I am using software decode (TV out s-video on the nForce
video card), because a slight tearing during quick motion.

I tried to pipe the output from the 350 into the input of the nForce
sound card with no avail.  Yes, I did change the line-in and input
setting with alsa mixer and with test_ioctl utility.  I actually spent
about 3 days solid trying to make the system work like that.

I'm relieved that I actually, finally, have a working system.  Now that
I have a good baseline, I will experiment with more complex setups, and
_hopefully_ get to take advantage of my hardware much better.

The document at http://www.mythtv.info/moin.cgi/DigitalSoundHowTo
attempts to address my setup exactly, but leaves me with more questions
than answers.  I will compile them and post to this list soon.

Thanks for the info!

-- Ryan