[mythtv-users] Torrentocracy

David Huseby david at surreal.com
Tue Jun 22 17:19:58 EDT 2004

-] The 'piracy-tax' in Canada allows a very limited amount of
-] copying from a
-] legal point of view.
-]
-] Even though the end result is the same, in the second version, Sue is
-] distributing which is still illegal.
-]
-] Needless to say, it basically makes it perfectly legal in Canada to
-] download Mp3's and copy them to a CD-R but it is illegal for
-] a person to
-] actually put the Mp3's online.
-]
-] Nothing is said about movies however.  Only music cd's and
-] Mp3-players
-] like the iPod are taxed.  Hard drives are not taxed yet.

That's an interesting solution to ballancing the interests of users and
copyright owners.  I disagree with it completely on the grounds that
your government (I assume you're Canadian) is messing around with the
free market and controlling a compensation system which assumes that all
users of CD-R's are intending to make copies of CD's. (Not to say that
the US government is any better in regards to economic freedom.)  I
stand firmly against government sponsored redistribution/compensation
systems, but I have to say that it is certainly a creative solution.

Dave