[mythtv-users] Torrentocracy

David Huseby david at surreal.com
Tue Jun 22 15:45:59 EDT 2004

-] And maybe just maybe, obeying the law so we don't give them
-] ammunition.
-] People like David are the reason things like the DMCA exist.
-]  If idiots
-] like him weren't sharing shows, movies and music with their
-] buddies we
-] wouldn't have the mess we have now.

I know that you wrote this without understanding my idea fully.  It
appears that you can't/won't blame bad legislation on those who are
responsible...Congress.  That is unfortunate because if you can't find
the proper place for blame then you will never know what needs fixing.

We already had very strong copyright laws in place before the DMCA was
passed, so why was it necessary?  It's main focus is on banning the
circumvention of copy protection which is clearly a fair use issue, not
a copyright violation issue.  Certainly the lawsuits we have seen
against movie/music traders are based in the old copyright laws not the
DMCA.  The lack of a DMCA was not stopping copyright holders from
persuing copyright violators, they just made a stink so that they could
legislate away our fair use rights under the guise of protecting their
copyrights.

Dave