[mythtv-users] Torrentocracy

David Huseby david at surreal.com
Tue Jun 22 15:32:22 EDT 2004

-] Your problem is that you don't necessarily have the right to
-] then share
-] that recording you made with your friend despite the fact that he
-] recoreded it for you.   While he could show the recording to
-] you in his
-] home, if he were to give you a copy to take to your house, I believe
-] (and I could be wrong here), that he would be in violation
-] of his rights
-] as it pertains to his recorded copy of that show.  He has
-] the right to
-] time-shift it, or even show it to a limited audience of friends
-] (assuming he doesn't charge), but sharing the recording is
-] not allowed.
-] This is where ReplayTV has gotten into hot water.  This is
-] an old link,
-] but it talks about the problems ReplayTV has gotten into
-] about sharing
-] recordings
-] (http://www.gigalaw.com/articles/2001-all/isenberg-2001-11-al
-] l.html) but
-] I think this is still working its way through the courts.

You don't understand my idea.  My idea isn't about sharing the
*recordings*!  It's about sharing the fact that I have chosen to record
a particular show, with my friends so that they can record it as well.
It goes down like this:

Me: "Hey Joe, I saw that there is a Junkyard Mega Wars on tonight on
channel 38 at 8pm"
My friend: "Cool, I love that show.  I'll queue it up on my machine as
well."

My idea would be to automate this process so that my queue would show
the shows I have queued up and the shows that my friends have queued up
so that I can queue them up as well if I want to.

Dave