[mythtv-users] Autologin with gdm

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Mon Jun 21 17:25:44 EDT 2004

>gdm was very easy once I'd found the right way to set it up.  Emerging
>it wasn't too painful either, it just required some additional
>libraries first.  I would make like easy and go with gdm, unless you
>have a good reason for wanting to stick with xdm.

Simply because the machine is a much-used rendernode, and I don't want to
have to deal with the hassle of a) installing the GTK libs in the first
place (since they'll only ever be used for GDM), and b) wasting CPU time
updating them. Hopefully now the OSS crowd has gotta hold on X we'll see
some development on XDM and add stuff like this.

If I knew how to program, I'd write myself a nice little login manager, but
I don't (unless I could try BASH piped through aalib or something ;^)