[mythtv-users] Re: Homebrew PVR Multi-Circuit

Steven White stevew at s2microsolutions.com
Mon Jun 21 15:05:27 EDT 2004

Ideally, what I would like to do is make something compatible with the
UIRT2 protocol and add in the functionality of writing to the LCD and
toggling the status LEDs.  This would allow for everything to be on one
com port.  I'm an embedded microcontroller type programmer, not a Linux
programmer, so I'm not sure that this is possible on the PC side.  Would
it be possible to write a driver for LIRC that supports these extra
commands (I'll ask some people in the LIRC project too)?  I would only
need some messages transmitted on the serial port in plain text for this
to work.  The microcontroller can make the decisions as to whether the
data is IR, LED, or LCD related.  I'm trying to make the circuit take up
as little hardware resources as possible.  I guess I could use the
parallel port for IR I/O and then use a serial port for the LCD and LEDs
as an alternative approach.  Does anyone have any other ideas or comments?

Steve