[mythtv-users] Mythtv playback quality poll

Kevin Barsby Kevin.Barsby at Sun.COM
Sun Jun 20 17:24:23 EDT 2004

> Your notes are welcome! I was planning to switch to binary drivers, are
> you using the new (06/09/2004) clexf40043.zip via package?

I'm using the 40038 drivers, and hadn't swithed as I was happy enough
with the quality, I might give them a go.

> Are you able to set a correct overscan? I'm using X at 720x576, and
> setting
> the "TVVSCAN over" option  under XF86Config my overscan exceeds tv
> screen limits.

I'm /pretty/ sure that's what overscan is all about (I think I have it
set too) You then rejig the OSD in setup to fit on the screen.

(Can someone correct me here if this isn't the way to do it)

> Strangely, hw decoding mythtv playback seems to ignore this excessive
> ovescan setting, filling relatively well the screen.

I think this is why overscan is desireable, again I'm shooting from the
hip a bit.

> 2) I'm not using Viaexp, but I suppose that it uses via libddmpeg
> library (hw decoding) version. I'm using the open source (Ivor's) version.

Ok, I beleive there is a xine plugin somewhere that will support that, I
think it's still fairly ealry on in development. It was mentioned on
forums.viaarena.com in the Linux area.

Cheers
Kev